Fresh Strawberry and Pear Salad
- 50/50 spinach and mixed spring lettuce
- sliced strawberries
- sliced pears
- dried blueberries
- slivered red onion
- pecans or candied pecans (recipe below), broken
- goat cheese, gorgonzola, blue cheese, feta cheese or cottage cheese
- Strawberry Dressing
Arrange salad ingredients on a plate and serve with the dressing.
- 2 strawberries
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or other sweet vinegar*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons clover or any light flavored honey
- 1/2 cup colorless oil like grape seed or avocado (the dressing comes out orange if you use olive oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Place all dressing ingredients in food processor and process until smooth.
*Balsamic and apple cider vinegar are both sweet vinegars.
- 2 cups pecans
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Heat maple syrup in a sauté pan until bubbly. Add nuts and salt and cook until dry, about 5 minutes. Use medium heat so it won’t burn. Three minutes will make them glazed and in about 5 minutes you should begin to see crystals and the nuts will separate and be candied. Transfer to a plate and let cool. Store in the refrigerator.