Paleo Chicken Soup With Sweet Potatoes
You can add additional amounts of the vegetables or celery root, turnips, parsnips, or rutabaga so make the soup more like a stew.
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 medium sized head of celery, sliced in small pieces (about 5 cups)
- 1 pound carrots, sliced in small pieces (about 3 cups)
- 2 32 ounce Swanson’s Organic Chicken Broth
- 2 to 3 sweet potatoes, cut off and peel blemishes and rough spots then cut in 3/4″ pieces (about 7 cups)
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig, leaves removed and minced or the leaves of a few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 large or 2 small bay leaves
- salt to taste
- 6 Perfectly Baked Chicken Breasts
- 1 large head of green curly kale, middle ribs removed, thinly sliced
Before starting to cook, have all the vegetables cut up and the chicken cooked and torn into pieces and in the refrigerator. Steam the kale for 7 minutes, cool and refrigerate.
Sauté the onions and garlic in the butter and oil for 3 minutes in a heavy stock pot large dutch oven. Add the celery and carrots and cook another 3 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients plus the chicken and kale, bring to boil and turn down heat and simmer 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf.